Beginner :)

Ask about starting out and learning

Moderator: windybeach

steven55655

Beginner :)

Postby steven55655 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:41 pm

Hey everyone i went surfing for the first time 2 years ago just messing around on holiday and ever since all i have wanted to do is go surfing again so i am looking for a few of questions to be answered.

1. what gear do i need???
i have a full body winter wet suit, hood, gloves, and boots. - do i still need a rash vest?

2. i am looking at getting my own surfboard i have been looking at soft boards but i do not know what length i need.
i am 5ft6" and weigh around 60kg.

3. the closet surf able beach is 3.5 hours drive away i am happy to do this every weekend if affordable at the time, i have a vw scirocco with vw surfboard holder on roof i have never used it just wondering what is the max speed you would recommend as obviously i don't want to break the board...

many thanks in advanced
Steven Griffin
Last edited by steven55655 on Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lurgs

Re: Beginner :)

Postby Lurgs » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:47 pm

1. No thats fine. Rash vest is really for comfort, no need unless your wetsuit is uncomfortable.

2. Wouldn't recommend a softie as you will soon grow out of that. Just try any sort of learners board (Popout). The BICs are ideal for Learners although they are a bit ugly & not made by shapers. Anything around 7feet should be ok. Dont be tempted to look all flash & get a tasty shortboard as you'll waste years trying to surf on an advanced board.

3. Jeeze move closer to a beach. Its a long drive if the surfs not very good. You'll need to rely on weather reports & the local webcams to where you are. Why bother with the roof holder, just buy a bag & put the back seats down & shove it in the back.

Enjoy. It's a life changer if you get hooked.

steven55655

Postby steven55655 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:37 pm

Lurgs wrote:1. No thats fine. Rash vest is really for comfort, no need unless your wetsuit is uncomfortable.

2. Wouldn't recommend a softie as you will soon grow out of that. Just try any sort of learners board (Popout). The BICs are ideal for Learners although they are a bit ugly & not made by shapers. Anything around 7feet should be ok. Dont be tempted to look all flash & get a tasty shortboard as you'll waste years trying to surf on an advanced board.

3. Jeeze move closer to a beach. Its a long drive if the surfs not very good. You'll need to rely on weather reports & the local webcams to where you are. Why bother with the roof holder, just buy a bag & put the back seats down & shove it in the back.

Enjoy. It's a life changer if you get hooked.

1. i have also just brought a new wetsuit :) so i will see how i go without a vest

2. thanks for the advice i have been looking into it and a lot of people have been saying it i am going to Woolacombe for a week in may and I'm going to hire a few different boards and give them all ago :)

3. i know i really want to have done for years lol .. i would do that but my fiancé really wants to get in to surfing to so i have to have room for her and her stuff lol (all i need is my wetsuit, towels and some lazy cloths :) lol ) but hay lol

thanks for the help :)

theHemsley

Postby theHemsley » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:03 am

LOL

zohaa

Postby zohaa » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:55 pm

Where is the best place for parking at Wittering? I don't mind paying a quid or two but when it gets into the 5 plus region I think that is a bit on the wicked side. I might have to build a little trailer to go behind my pushbike. All replies gratefully received.
Our excellent online 101-01 exam.We also offer latest IBM and Columbia University with 100% success guarantee. Our Youtube is rare in IT world.

Return to “Beginners Qs”