Goodbye West Pier wave

Usual Surf Chat

Moderator: windybeach

MrJez

Goodbye West Pier wave

Postby MrJez » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:38 pm

I haven't been on the forum before but signed up to let people know about the West Pier. You've probably seen the pillars being taken out this week but speaking to one of the builders, they're going to be removing the whole of the West Pier soon - but are trying to keep it quiet.

So, no more wave at the West Pier. No doubt they'll do their usual job of removing stuff and leave plenty of dangerous debris below the water level.

danielsatch

Re: Goodbye West Pier wave

Postby danielsatch » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:37 am

Where did you get that information about them removing the rest of the West Pier?
If this is the case we need to hold a demonstration or something. I will chain my bloody self up to it before they pull whats left of it out of the water...

F**king West Pier Trust are a bunch of money grabbing greedy bastards.
They formed a trust to make money and had no intention of restoring that pier "THE PEOPLES PIER".

Why do you think the West Pier Trust are all for the i360... No doubt they rent the land that the West Pier once sat on (which they own as a trust) while in the meantime sell whats left of the pier to wealthy toffs in London. Makes my blood boil.

That Pier was a Pier to the people of Brighton and most Brightonians do not want the bulls**t blit on the landscape i360.

If the trust do plan to start taking the pier out the sea - who's in for a demonstration from the surfers who surf it? I've surfed the West Pier for 15 years and these bastards have no right to pull it out the sea.

Cheers,

Dan

MrJez

Postby MrJez » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:12 pm

I was just speaking with one of the builders who was part of the team taking up the pillars. He told me they were booked to be removing the main body of the pier next but he could have just made that up. I've looked around on the internet and apparently it's not to be touched.

I don't know anyone who actually wants to see the i360 built - it would have been better if they'd approached it like the rebuild in Hastings and have a multi-functional pier that could cater for markets and events. If I want to see a view of Brighton and the sea, I can just wander up to the Downs!

I wouldn't 'trust' the West Pier Trust about anything though.

Hopefully the builder had got it wrong - be great if they took away all the debris around it though.

danielsatch

Postby danielsatch » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:48 pm

Yeah i dont trust the west pier trust.

I contacted them just after i read your post and they said that there were no plans to touch the end pavilion.
They will only do so if they feel it is a safety issue....!!!!

Anyway they said they would make it public if they were to carry out any work so looks like that builder dude was fibbing.

John

Postby John » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:56 pm

No matter how awful the wave at the west pier is, it would be a shame to lose it. It's obviously close to the hearts of the crew that surf it and it stops them spreading to the other not quite as crap spots. It's a bit of a fish sanctuary too and provides some interesting free-diving on those rare clear days.

Return to “Main Surf Chat”