Soldiers Surf - SUP Trashed my board

Usual Surf Chat

Moderator: windybeach

danielsatch

Soldiers Surf - SUP Trashed my board

Postby danielsatch » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:06 pm

Hey there...

On Saturday 7th November at Soldiers on the pushing tide a guy trashed my pride and joy: My Ben Skinner longboard which is less than 6months old! I usually take my other raggedy old longboard out at this break because of it being a minefield but on this occasion my friend was using her.

There were a lot of different watercraft out that day, SUP's, Kayak's and surfer's and I noticed that there were at least 2-3 SUP'ers who really should not have been there with their experience. I'm no pro surfer but some of these guys could not even hold a conversation without falling off and that really is not good in such a cramped one wave line-up.

After taking off on a wave close to the wall, I passed a guy on a SUP who was attempting to get over the crest of the wave. I was at least 6ft away from him as I passed him on my left side. As I looked back on the wave he was no where to be seen and suddenly his SUP popped up and his central fin missed my foot by millimetres and punched a nasty hole in my brand new board. I confronted the guy after and he said he didn't know it had happened...! To be honest we all make mistakes but this wave was like knee high and by the time his fin hit my board his leash must have been fully extended, so I was a good 9ft away when it struck.
Its left me very frustrated to be honest, I don't like to bitch and moan and I have had a couple of close calls myself but this board cost me like £1200 and a lot of saving and I'm left feeling gutted.
I spoke to Shaun Haddock this morning and I have left the board in his capable hands to repair. I'm just a bit pissed off to be honest and out of pocket through no fault of my own.

The guy was in his 30's, short dark hair and on a SUP which was predominantly white and had a red band around the edge.
That day I should have confronted him more with the issue of repair but i was spitting feathers and decided not to be confrontational. If that was you or you know the chap, i'd be grateful if you could help me out with the repair bill!
Attachments
IMG_7426.JPG
IMG_7424.JPG

shredhead

Re: Soldiers Surf - SUP Trashed my board

Postby shredhead » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:17 pm

My mate got his board run over by a SUP today between the Arms. He'd come over from Soldiers - could be the same bloke. I think some of them need to realise how dangerous they can be and maybe find somewhere else to sweep until they can learn to share waves properly, like some of the more experienced SUPers (we all know who I mean).

Bluebeard

Postby Bluebeard » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:34 pm

That really sucks & I feel very bad for you dude.

I know I am going to be grilled for saying this but every time I paddle out at marina and I see either some old dude or a chick on a longboard or someone on an SUP it scares me shitless and I give them as wide a berth as physically possible, because inevitably all you'll tend to see are their boards flying all over the place when they bail them, especially on big days & receiving one of those on the nut is going to be very bad news! and that's surfing at the marina so i can imagine how bad it is in Shoreham.

In my view our local spots are too crowded & the waves unsuitable for longboarders/SUPers unless they can really surf/duck dive etc (& I know many can so not talking about all LBers erc). However, if you're on a LB/SUP simply because you're learning or too lazy/fat etc to be on a manageable board in local conditions then you shouldn't bother. Taking the time to learn on a manageable board in the beginning will save you time & effort in the long run.

Also, I know it's too late for you now but I think it should be an accepted rule, if your board or lack of skill, or recklessness damages someone else's board you pay for repairs. Simple as that.

danielsatch

Postby danielsatch » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:54 am

You are spot on though. Thats why I have surfed a spot where I'm usually the only one out for years now. Its no secret either!
I have this morning in fact. I can't be doing with it, thats the second time now at soldiers my boards got trashed through no fault of my own and i'm not surfing it anymore unless I take out the old war horse.
When I was getting into surfing around 15 years ago I went to Devon and booked myself into a surf school to learn how to surf for a week. I learnt the basics and had a shitty foamy for a while before even considering to buy a glassed board. I was considerate and knew the rules. Now it seems time and time again, I see people are buying glassed boards and f**king dangerous SUPS and just paddling out into crowded breaks with no knowledge or consideration for others. I know we all learnt once and I know its hard and f**king frustrating but it takes time and patience... something it seems some people do not have. Next time I assure you, I will not be so polite. I also think a lot of this responsibility rests on the outlets that sell these boards to people!

shredhead

Postby shredhead » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:56 pm

danielsatch wrote:Thats why I have surfed a spot where I'm usually the only one out for years now. Its no secret either!
I have this morning in fact.

I know where you mean. It was my local spot for years. Must give it another go. Bluebeard makes some valid points. I've seen some tempers getting flared the last week at the Marina. People just not looking where they're going or just sitting like lemons while someone surfs towards them. Today 2 surfers took off just in front of me on a well overhead lump. 1 went left and one right leaving me to sweetly duckdive between them. Thank God they weren't out of control SUPs or I would have been decapitated.

Bluebeard

Postby Bluebeard » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:07 pm

I am all for tempers getting flared at the marina and anywhere else for that matter. People always drivel on about localism aggro but essentially a bit of aggro is essential to keep some order and ensure people don't get hurt or take the pi$$. A mean crowd, gnarly reef and lumpy solid surf is good for general order.

Re people sitting on the inside, that does hack me off at times because more often than not they just sit there waiting for you to come at them. But then, the way our waves break it's sometimes impossible to tell if someone is going left or right until the last second.

Tomdiddlybomb

Postby Tomdiddlybomb » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:34 pm

I'll agree that people need to be in a bit more control in crowds, I got burned hard several times in the harbour yesterday by 2 different guys on SUPS, and then some muppet on a big plastic longboard thought it would be a great idea to sit just slightly inside than me right next to the wall so I couldn't catch anything...
but I didn't get wound up, I just worked around it because I'd much rather keep smiling and enjoying myself and not ruin everybody else's surf

an angry lineup sucks, it's the reason I won't surf the marina. so perhaps a quiet word with people who are consistently doing stupid things would be more effective than shouting them out of the water. you wouldn't treat people like that on dry land so why does it change when you get out on the water? Sure if they're being downright dangerous then fair enough but how often does that happen in the 2-4ft mush we all get so excited about?

Bluebeard

Postby Bluebeard » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:41 pm

No you're quite right. I think you should organise a work shop on being nice in the water and then you can all have a group hug and knit some tea cosys.

And for the record if some clown came charging uncontrollably straight at me on dry land with a 10ft long, 8kg fibre glass board, with a massive sharp fin while I was lying prone or unable to get out of the way quickly, I would have more than just a 'quiet word' or keep smiling to myself so as not to harsh my mellow.

Maybe you should grow a pair & stay off the prescription meds mon ami.

Tomdiddlybomb

Postby Tomdiddlybomb » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:11 pm

you're a charming fellow aren't you?
if it were a dangerous situation then yeah I'd have a problem but it isn't, we surf pathetically small waves which are mushy and slow enough to never need to be in a dangerous situation
if you're stupid enough to be sat inside an inexperienced SUP then sooner or later your poor judgement will catch up with you

Bluebeard

Postby Bluebeard » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:06 pm

We get big surf here, the quality is lacking but not the size. Even so getting an SUP in the head at 2ft isn't going to be fun, let alone on bigger waves. And you don't have to be sat on the inside like a lemon, typically you'd be paddling back to the lineup.

Forgive my abrasive approach, but pleasant or not, I don't see the point of not saying anything at the time and then bitching about it on an internet forum. There are certain rules in any sport i.e. neck tackles, low blows, that ensure safety and surfing is no different.

As it's not a team or contact sport it relies on etiquette, manners & judgement and if people don't have any or they apply the maxim of 'might is right then they need to be told for theirs and everyone else's benefit.

And FFS what the hell are SUPs doing inside a harbour break ??????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Main Surf Chat”