Another way to find/share surf spots - advice needed!!

Usual Surf Chat

Moderator: windybeach

mapinit

Another way to find/share surf spots - advice needed!!

Postby mapinit » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:59 pm

Hi,

I'm hoping you may be able to help, I've recently become involved in a new website (mapinit.com) thats trying to put those spots that are not on the map, on the map. We hope it will be a great way to share new/favourite to surf spots - the site has a geo-tagging which allows our users to post their own locations/new spots directly onto the map. As well its all linked up to social media so it operates more like an online community and makes logging in etc a doddle.

It would be fantastic if anyone on this forum could have a look, sign up or even start tagging new places (mapinit.com/cornwall takes you to the UK site). Any feedback, good and bad, would be great - we're trying to build a site that enthusiasts like yourselves will enjoy using and find useful.

Thanks,

Ben :)

John

Re: Another way to find/share surf spots - advice needed!!

Postby John » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:28 am

Are you for real mate? Why on earth would you want everyone knowing where your surf spots are?

Grubber

Postby Grubber » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:19 pm

Just had a look at your site mate. Always depressing to be hit with the unavoidable truth that there are w@nkers like you out there looking to exploit everyone's hard work and dedication for a quick buck. No one is going to list their own secret surf spot so trying to encourage others to do it for your own benefit is no better than burglary. They are not on the map for a good reason.

I see you have Florida mapped out, surely the average Floridian is only concerned with the nearest Krispy Kreme or KFC ?

John

Postby John » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:28 am

Ben, I suggest you go back to the drawing board. Maybe look at a job in sales, double glazing, telesales, used car salesman.

theHemsley

Postby theHemsley » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:03 am

If you're not a surfer it probably looks like a good idea but surfers like to keep their surf spots secret as there is nothing worse than millions of people in the water. So yes it's a good idea as it means people can find new spots but trying to get the surf spots is probably going to be a non starter, any you do get will be well known ones already. I think magicseaweed have the market for a surf spot website already.

Haole

Postby Haole » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:30 pm

Please can you put my secret spot up on your site? I really want everybody else to see how good it is on those special days.
Can you also let everybody know what conditions and tides it breaks best at, so that more people can come and join me at this magic place.

We call it 'The west pier', it breaks at high tide only and is best with a strong Northerly swell and easterly wind. You can park at the beach for free and change under one of the boats. Watch out for the locals, a real angry crew who all rip.

Peace and aloha

shredhead

Postby shredhead » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:14 pm

You only have to look at wannasurf.com to see the anger a site like this can unleash.

Return to “Main Surf Chat”