Rampion wind farm

Usual Surf Chat

Moderator: windybeach

sandalsurf

Rampion wind farm

Postby sandalsurf » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:30 pm

The next stage of the proposed wind farm consultation is now open- I would suggest we all look at this extremely carefully -
I fear this will effect the tourism economy of the city as Brighton has never been an industrial town - this instalation could make us such in the eyes of the visitor - As far as I am aware no impact studies have been carried out on the effect of this. I questioned the head of Tourism for Visit England at a recent conference over this and he referred me to the Peak District rejecting a wind farm for just that reason...
Will it effect the surf? SAS have questioned this and apparently not according to the mappings and plans they have done - BUT how many times have we had forcast a nice swell by looking at the stats and predictions of computers only to be disapointed by 1' of slop - because they got it wrong! I'm not saying it will or wont effect the size of the surf - you be the judge of that but i'd rather not risk it when we already live with fickle surf. send them your concerns now.(or buy a wakeboat)
http://infrastructure.planningportal.go ... wind-farm/

shredhead

Re: Rampion wind farm

Postby shredhead » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:40 pm

Effects on tourism should be in 6.1.28 of the Environmental Statement http://infrastructure.planningportal.go ... nomics.pdf -effects on onshore socio-economics. Also, the local councils have to prepare a Local Impacts Report that sets out the impacts the local area so its time to lobby local councilors and ask organisations if there are concerns about impacts.
I think E-on were claiming it will boost tourism as people will want to go out on boats to look at it close-up. We shall see.

Grubber

Postby Grubber » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:34 am

Firstly just to make it clear I am not having a pop at anyone personally and appreciate Sandalsurf keeping everyone posted on this.

Having said that my view on this is that unless there is a proven, significant detrimental effect on wave height then I would much rather look at an offshore windfarm rather than look at/live near something like Shoreham Power station or the new incinerator in Newhaven. If we have to have something, much rather it would be a wind farm. If the windfarm DOES NOT affect wave height then I would not oppose it in any way.

What I am sick to the back teeth of hearing about is Brighton's tourism economy. I don't own a hotel, restaurant, gay bar (which incidentally doesn't make me a homophobe) pub, club, brothel, money laundering operation masquerading as a North St Convenience Store selling booze 24hrs or a class A & B dealing business.

I do however see a big chunk of my council tax go on subsidising the profit making activites of the above named establishments by their continued monopolising of local resources (police, street cleaning, A+E etc, etc) without their making any additional significant contribution either voluntary or through mandatory fiscal measures. What I also have to do is pick my way through the broken glass on a Monday morning on my bicycle, step over drunks & junkies, puke, litter & torn open bin bags.

I also have to run the gauntlet on the occasional evenings i go out of waiting at the bus stop for either my bus or a kicking from a group of drunk/drugged up chavs/meatheads. I do have to detour around Brighton during political conference season & I do have to witness the carnage after events like Gaypride which makes Brighton look like Croydon after an evening of civil disobedience & I do have to plan at what times I go into town with my kids to avoid their witnessing these grotesque sights.

I also have to drive to Burgess Hill, Crawley, Eastbourne & various other towns to find any suitable entertainment for my kids given that for so many years there has been such a mania for pandering to the gay & straight pub/club/tourism scene that there are little or no facilities for kids in the brighton area. What there is, is poorly maintained and usually infested with street drinkers & junkies.

Courtesy of Brighton's tourism economy, the City has become a Chav/junkie ghetto & if the wind farm doesn't affect the waves then i am all for it on condition that it blows all the sh*t off our streets, since I, like the vast majority of the City's residents do not benefit one single bit from the tourism economy but have to live with it's negative consequences on a daily basis.

hang11

Postby hang11 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:20 am

Not sure what a rant against poofters has to do with wind farms, but that was a bloody funny read :D

If it bothers you that much, either join in or leave town.

shredhead

Re: Rampion wind farm - effects on surfing

Postby shredhead » Tue May 07, 2013 8:46 pm

This document http://infrastructure.planningportal.gov.uk/wp-content/ipc/uploads/projects/EN010032/2.%20Post-Submission/Application%20Documents/Environmental%20Statement/6.1.6%20Physical%20Environment.pdf at 6.5.67 says the impact will be less than 5% in wave height.

This document http://infrastructure.planningportal.gov.uk/wp-content/ipc/uploads/projects/EN010032/2.%20Post-Submission/Application%20Documents/Environmental%20Statement/6.3.6v%20Physical%20Environment%20Appendix%206.4.pdf contains all the wave predictions. Section 4.5 (page 64 onwards) is all about surfing. These are summarised in Table 17 on page 67 for different surfspots. The worst case scenario is a 4% reduction in Brighton (5% at Tide Mills) in WSW waves.

All this modelling and the rejigging of the worst case scenario is a result of SAS and others' intervention with E-on, so hats off to them.

No mitigation is proposed for these minor impacts and they are not proposing to monitor impacts on waves either, according to the draft development consent order http://infrastructure.planningportal.gov.uk/wp-content/ipc/uploads/projects/EN010032/2.%20Post-Submission/Application%20Documents/Draft%20Development%20Consent%20Orders/3.1%20Development%20Consent%20Order%20March%202013%20%28FINAL%29.pdf.

If you want to register as an interested party and make comments you go here:http://infrastructure.planningportal.gov.uk/projects/south-east/rampion-offshore-wind-farm/?ipcsection=relreps
BUT IT NEEDS TO BE DONE BY MAY 11TH.

RichC

Postby RichC » Thu May 09, 2013 9:02 am

hang11 wrote:Not sure what a rant against poofters has to do with wind farms, but that was a bloody funny read :D

If it bothers you that much, either join in or leave town.

ha spot on Hang11. Incidentally theres a new £3million play park and skate development happening on the Level. It will still have the usual Level sketchiness to navigate if you're with your kids but this is the pay off for living in a city rather than the burbs.

sandalsurf

Postby sandalsurf » Fri May 10, 2013 7:56 pm

Hey Rich- wait until you see the new Level park- sketchiness no more mate
£2.8m worth of lovelyness. This will be the best park in the city - if you like Hove Park or Preston park's kids stuff this one will blow your mind!
Its going to be a real Jewel in the crown of the city and the skate park is pretty rad too!
Opening bit by bit during the summer - official opening is September (skate park will be open by July!) :D

Return to “Main Surf Chat”