Best local shapers in UK

Usual Surf Chat

Moderator: windybeach

shredder75

Best local shapers in UK

Postby shredder75 » Mon May 11, 2015 8:31 pm

Hey guys, im looking to buy a board and trying to work out what brand/shaper to buy from. Im after a UK shaper ideally - for UK waves. I sometimes surf Brighton, but mainly Devon and Cornwall. Any unbiased reviews would be great! Dave

Graywig

Re: Best local shapers in UK

Postby Graywig » Tue May 12, 2015 4:33 pm

Dear Dave

Not wishing at all to take work away from Brighton shapers, but as general rule if you want a bespoke board best to go to a shaper to make you a board from the area you mainly surf. So if you mainly surf Devon and Cornwall then go to a shaper based there. Just be honest, the key factor is your ability. Personally I prefer a board with a little more volume for the South Coast.

Look at Nine Plus - they have a shop in Braunton (North Devon) - great range of own boards - look at a Magic Carpet.
or
Again Braunton - try Glenn owner at Surfed Out good range of boards - has 'Bunty' for example - and he'll advise on what board best for you rather than what board the shop would like to sell to you because they are carrying too much stock.

Avoid Tiki and Board Barn in Braunton oh and avoid Ocean Board Sports in Brighton.

If you want a bespoke board at a fair rate - from a fella who knows his stuff call the Board Dr - Shaun Haddock - 07981 351 908 - he is based near Shoreham - top fella will not BS you.

shredder75

Postby shredder75 » Wed May 20, 2015 8:48 pm

Thanks so much :-)

Yeah its a tough choice - I think I'd like to try a few boards out first as new boards are pretty pricey (I didnt realise), but that said - I appreciate you get what you pay for....

I'll certainly pop into the Braunton stores as Im likely to be there pretty soon.

Thanks so much again!

Dave

charlieuk

Postby charlieuk » Thu May 21, 2015 9:34 pm

pete symms down in the wittering builds some lovely longboards and fish.well worth going down at having a chat with him.

shredder75

Postby shredder75 » Sat May 23, 2015 3:07 am

Thanks for the heads up :-)

Return to “Main Surf Chat”